An explosion went off in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood at around 8:30pm EST Saturday night, that injured 29 people.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Set off by a pressure cooker, the blast happen shortly before another suspicious device was found nearby. According to police, the blast was caused by an explosive device in or near a dumpster but there’s no word on who set it off or their motive.
As reported by CNN, the object was a “homemade” pressure cooker with dark colored wiring protruding, connected by silver duct tape to what appears to be a cellphone, officials said. A piece of paper with writing on it was found nearby.
None of the officials would say at this point what was inside the pressure cooker, which has since been removed from the scene. For context, pressure cookers were used as explosive devices in the Boston Marathon bombing that killed three people and injured more than 260 in 2013.
“Now, I want to be clear: Whatever the cause, whatever the intention here, New Yorkers will not be intimidated,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference. “We are not going to let anyone change who we are or how we go about our lives.”
Eighty miles south of Manhattan, in Seaside Park, New Jersey, a pipe bomb put into a trash can went off Saturday morning during a charity race to benefit military veterans. No injuries were reported in this case, in what investigators were treating as a possible act of terrorism— as reported by Reuters.
Authorities are saying they do not believe there’s a connection between the two incidents.
“I was driving a car and next thing you know I felt an explosion,” said David Martinez, a victim who was driving by with his pregnant wife at the time of the NYC explosion. “I just blacked out, next thing I know I’m in an ambulance.” He, his wife and their baby are all uninjured.
All 29 individuals in the blast have been released from the hospital with minor injuries. And security has been ramped up in all five boroughs.
American Domestic Terrorist Attacks Since 9/11
1. Trump Supporters Attack Congress (2021)Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Las Vegas Shooter (2017)Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Virginia Tech Shooting (2007)Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Pittsburgh Police Shootings (2009)Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Gabrielle Giffords Shooting (2011)Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Aurora Movie Theatre Shooting (2012)Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting (2012)Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Blooming Grove Police Shooting (2014)Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. Overland Park Jewish Community Center Shooting (2014)Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. Las Vegas Police Ambush (2014)Source:Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department via Getty Images 10 of 14
11. Umpqua Community College Shooting (2015)Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Charleston Church Shooting (2015)Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Shooting (2015)Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting (2012)Source:Getty 14 of 14
NYC Mayor On Pressure Cooker Bomb: “New Yorkers Will Not Be Intimidated” was originally published on hellobeautiful.com