After almost ten years of marriage, actress Essence Atkins is divorcing her husband Jaime Mendez. The pair met through Match.com on Valentine’s Day 2008 and tied the knot in September 2009.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
In an interview with Hollywood Today Live, the former Smart Guy star said she still has a lot of love for her ex and both are determined to remain civil for the sake of their 4-year-old son, Varro. Atkins added that her newest role as Marlon Wayans’ wife on the upcoming sitcom Marlon helped her come to terms with the split.
“It’s weird because literally, three weeks after filing, I got this job where I’m playing a newly divorced woman who’s co-parenting with her ex that she still loves, but they’ve somehow realized that they’re not meant to partner together anymore. It was kind of this weird, amazing moment the universe was like, here’s art imitating life and we’re going to talk about this and you’re going to explore it in a really humorous way,” she revealed.
The Deliver Us From Eva actress may be handling the split with grace, but she admitted she’s worried about her ability to ease back into the dating game. “I am going to be entering the dating world after nearly a decade,” Atkins told Garcelle Beauvais, Ross Mathews, and Tanner Thomason on Hollywood Today.
“I’ve turned 40 since I’ve dated. I don’t know, people don’t talk anymore, they text. They only call if it’s a dire emergency. I have no idea how to go about it.”
We think she’ll be just fine.
#LoveLost: The Most Heartbreaking Celebrity Splits Of 2015
1. Miranda Lambert and Blake SheltonSource:Splash News 1 of 13
2. Rita Ora and Ricky HilfigerSource:Getty 2 of 13
3. Ben Affleck and Jennifer GarnerSource:Getty 3 of 13
4. Michael Sam and Vito CammisanoSource:Getty 4 of 13
5. Nick Jonas and Olivia CulpoSource:Getty 5 of 13
6. Scott Disick and Kourtney KardashianSource:Splash News 6 of 13
7. Miley Cyrus and Patrick SchwarzeneggerSource:Splash News 7 of 13
8. Tiger Woods and Lindsay VonnSource:Getty 8 of 13
9. Glory Johnson and Brittney GrinerSource:Getty 9 of 13
10. Orlando Scandrick and Draya MicheleSource:Getty 10 of 13
11. Khloe Kardashian and French MontanaSource:Getty 11 of 13
12. Ariana Grande and Big SeanSource:Getty 12 of 13
13. Zayn Malik and One DirectionSource:Getty 13 of 13
SOURCE: Essence | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter