Thursday’s decision means Goodson avoided a conviction on the most serious charge handed down in the Gray case; second-degree depraved murder.
Goodson, who drove the van Gray was transported in, was also cleared of manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office, and reckless endangerment charges.
Closing arguments were held on Monday after two weeks of testimony.
State prosecutors rested their case on the argument that Goodson was negligent, stating he failed to secure Gray with a seatbelt, was unresponsive to Gray’s requests for medical attention, and drove recklessly, ultimately causing Gray’s fatal spinal injury.
Prosecutors called fellow Officer William Porter as a witness to corroborate that the police van drivers have full responsibility of occupants. Porter’s trial ended via a hung jury in December. He will be retried again in September and was forced by an appeals court to testify under limited immunity from prosecutors.
Defense attorneys say that Gray was combative and called Officer Edward Nero as a witness, to strengthen their argument that Gray made it difficult to secure his seatbelt. Nero was acquitted of all charges against him in May.
There are four more trials scheduled related to Freddie Gray’s arrest and subsequent death. Lt. Brian Rice’s trial will begin on July 5, which will be followed by Officer Garrett Miller’s trial on July 27, Officer Porter’s on September 6, and Sgt. Alicia White’s on October 13.
Baltimore Reacts To The Freddie Gray Case [PHOTOS]
1. Fire eruptsSource:Getty 1 of 19
2. After being pepper sprayedSource:Getty 2 of 19
3. Injured manSource:Getty 3 of 19
4. Smoke conditionSource:Getty 4 of 19
5. Mondawmin Mall clashSource:Getty 5 of 19
6. Mowdamin MallSource:Getty 6 of 19
7. Lining up to mourn Freddie GraySource:Getty 7 of 19
8. GrievingSource:Getty 8 of 19
9. New Shiloh Baptist ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 19
10. Honk for JusticeSource:Getty 10 of 19
11. Police in riot gear confront protestersSource:Getty 11 of 19
12. Police in motionSource:Getty 12 of 19
13. ConfrontedSource:Getty 13 of 19
14. Facing downSource:Getty 14 of 19
15. On the groundSource:Getty 15 of 19
16. Atop a carSource:Getty 16 of 19
17. Remembering Freddie GraySource:Getty 17 of 19
18. Black Lives MatterSource:Robin Akinwale, WERQ 18 of 19
19. Marching to police stationSource:Getty 19 of 19
SOURCE: Baltimore Sun | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter
Freddie Gray: Baltimore Officer Caesar Goodson Found Not Guilty On All Charges was originally published on newsone.com