Nearly two years after the death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice made national headlines, the city of Cleveland, Ohio has filed suit against the boy’s family.
The city claims the Rice family owes $500 for the ambulance and paramedics that tended to the young boy after he was fatally shot by police in November 2014.
Rice was playing with a pellet gun in the park when he was shot by officer Tim Loehmann. A grand jury failed to indict Loehmann or his partner Frank Garmback on charges of murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless or negligent homicide.
Here are additional details on the suit via Gawker. “…The city states that the Rice family is responsible “for emergency medical services rendered as the decedent’s last dying expense under Ohio Revised Code.” Broken down, the city is billing Rice’s family $450 for “advance life support” that did not save him and $50 for the mileage driven by the ambulance to the hospital where he died.”
In the aftermath of the shooting, the victims mother, Samaria Rice was enthralled with legal fees and was temporarily forced to move into a homeless shelter.
One of the Rice family’s attorney’s Subodh Chandra has released a statement expressing the utter shock and disappointment over the nature of the suit:
“That the city would submit a bill and call itself a creditor after having had its own police officers slay 12-year-old Tamir displays a new pinnacle of callousness and insensitivity. The kind of poor judgment that it takes to do such a thing is nothing short of breathtaking.
Who on earth would think this was a good idea and file this on behalf of the city? This adds insult to homicide. The mayor and law director should apologize to the Rice family and withdraw this filing immediately.”
You can read the official court documents below.
Justice For...A List Of People Killed By Police In 2014 (PHOTOS)
1. Jordan Baker, 26, Killed January 2014 In TexasSource:Handout 1 of 20
2. McKenzie Cochran, 25, Killed January 2014 In DetroitSource:Handout 2 of 20
3. Keith Vidal, 18, Killed January 2014 In North CarolinaSource:Handout 3 of 20
4. Yvette Smith, 47, Killed February 2014 In TexasSource:Handout 4 of 20
5. Victor White III, 22, Killed March 2014 In LouisianaSource:Handout 5 of 20
6. Dontre Hamilton, 31, Killed April 2014 In MilwaukeeSource:Handout 6 of 20
7. Jason Harrison, 28, Killed June 2014 In TexasSource:Screengrab 7 of 20
8. Eric Garner, 43, Killed July 2014 In NYCSource:Youtube 8 of 20
9. Ezell Ford, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource:Handout 9 of 20
10. Dante Parker, 36, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource:Handout 10 of 20
11. Kajieme Powell, 25, Killed August 2014 In St. LouisSource:Screengrab 11 of 20
12. Omar Abrego, 37, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource:Handout 12 of 20
13. Maria Godinez, 22, Killed August 2014 In OrlandoSource:Handout 13 of 20
14. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Killed August 2014 in Ferguson, Mo.Source:Handout 14 of 20
15. Darrien Hunt, 22, Killed September 2014 In UtahSource:Handout 15 of 20
16. Jack Jacquez, 27, Killed November 2014 In ColoradoSource:Handout 16 of 20
17. Tamir Rice, 12, Killed November 2014 In OhioSource:Handout 17 of 20
18. Akai Gurley, 28, Killed November 2014 In NYCSource:Handout 18 of 20
19. Tanesha Anderson, 37, Killed November 2014 In ClevelandSource:Handout 19 of 20
20. Rumain Brisbon, 34, Killed December 2014 In ArizonaSource:Handout 20 of 20