Many people are quick to stamp the hashtag #RelationshipGoals on any situation where two celebrities are smiling in a photo. But few couples have ever experienced a situation as difficult as Bernadette Adams and her husband, Jean-Pierre Adams. Her commitment to their relationship is remarkable.
Jean-Pierre, 68, is a former professional soccer player who helped France win several World Cups in the 1970s. The Senegalese-born star was one of the first men of color on the team. Praised by many for his boisterous personality and strong, athletic build, Jean-Pierre has unfortunately been in a coma for the past 33 years.
On March 17, 1982, Jean-Pierre was scheduled to undergo an operation on his knee for a torn ligament. The hospital was severely understaffed at the time; the doctors were on strike, and there was only one anesthesiologist and a trainee to oversee his procedure.
Ventilation tubes were improperly placed and Jean-Pierre’s brain was deprived of oxygen; he went into a cardiac arrest. The result was irreversible brain damage with a slim chance of recovery. Since that day in 1982, Jean-Pierre has not walked or talked.
The couple has two sons, Laurent and Frédéric, who were 11 and four years old at the time of the accident. Bernadette and Jean-Pierre are now grandparents.
But despite the odds, 72-year-old Bernadette has devoted her life to being her husband’s caregiver. While he is incapable of nearly all voluntary movement, he can digest food as well as open and close his eyes. Everyday, Bernadette dresses, feeds, and bathes her husband, in addition to turning him over in his bed to avoid sores.
On why she keeps her husband alive despite his vegetative state, Bernadette says, “His condition does not get any worse, so who knows? If one day, medical science evolves, then why not? Will there be a day when they’ll know how to do something for him? I don’t know.”
Click here to watch Bernadette share her story.
Watch Blue Ivy Grow Up On Beyonce's Instagram
1. Blue Ivy with her auntie SolangeSource:Instagram 1 of 24
2. With daddy at the superbowlSource:Instagram 2 of 24
3. Hand in Hand.Source:Instagram 3 of 24
4. Mommy-daughter time.Source:Instagram 4 of 24
5. Mirror, mirror.Source:Instagram 5 of 24
6. 11 months old and already in Vogue. Goals.Source:Instagram 6 of 24
7. Carter Girls.Source:Instagram 7 of 24
8. A mother's love.Source:Instagram 8 of 24
9. The Blueprint.Source:Instagram 9 of 24
10. Tour life.Source:Instagram 10 of 24
11. Way up.Source:Instagram 11 of 24
12. Beach is better.Source:Instagram 12 of 24
13. Aunt and Uncle time.Source:Instagram 13 of 24
14. Valentine's Day activities.Source:Instagram 14 of 24
15. History repeats itself!Source:Instagram 15 of 24
16. As fast as you can.Source:Instagram 16 of 24
17. Making friends with a new pup.Source:Instagram 17 of 24
18. The ice cream truck is a must.Source:Instagram 18 of 24
19. Yacht life is a great life.Source:Instagram 19 of 24
20. Picking the prettiest one.Source:Instagram 20 of 24
21. "My favorite hue is Jay-Z Blue."Source:Instagram 21 of 24
22. Hugged up with mommy Bey.Source:Instagram 22 of 24
23. Visiting the Frida Kahlo exhibition in NY.Source:Instagram 23 of 24
24. Halloween costume inspiration.Source:Instagram 24 of 24
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter