Yesterday afternoon, hundreds of supporters poured into downtown L.A. to join Amber Rose as she set out to take a stand against slut-shaming, sexism and rape culture by hosting her first-ever “Slut Walk L.A.”
The widespread movement and march was started in order to advocate against the practice of shaming women for acting, dressing, or living too provocatively by society’s traditional standards, while also providing a platform for women to share their stories. Amber first announced her planned involvement with the movement after ex-boyfriend Kanye Wests’ infamous interview comment from earlier this year, where he claimed that he had to “take 30 showers” before he was able to begin dating wife Kim Kardashian because of his past relationship with Amber. Since then, Amber has been promoting the walk across social media and took a moment to speak to the large crowd that gathered yesterday as the march was underway.
During her brief but telling address, Amber shared her own stories of the first time she was slut shamed as a teenager, while also opening up about some of her negative experiences during her relationships with Kanye and ex-husband Wiz Khalifa. Although visibly emotional throughout her speech to the crowd of women, Amber managed to hold it together until she began speaking about the aftermath of her split from Wiz. Take a look at the video below to see which moment had her choked up.
Despite her hurtful experiences, Amber says she has forgiven both Wiz (whom she says has apologized) and Kanye for the parts that they played in slut shaming her and encourages other women who have been through similar situations to being doing the same as a way to move on while working to defy the negative stereotypes.
Hundreds Join Amber Rose For Her 2015 SlutWalk In Los Angeles
1. Amber Rose on stage at the 2015 SlutWalk in Los Angeles.Source:Splash News 1 of 9
2. Amber Rose arriving at the SlutWalk.Source:Splash News 2 of 9
3. Amber Rose standing beside her mother at the 2015 SlutWalk.Source:Splash News 3 of 9
4. Amber Rose hosts SlutWalk 2015 in Downtown Los Angeles, Ca.Source:Splash News 4 of 9
5. Amber Rose hosts SlutWalk 2015 in Downtown Los Angeles, Ca.Source:Splash News 5 of 9
6. Nick Cannon seen taking pictures with fans at the 2015 SlutWalk.Source:Splash News 6 of 9
7. Amber Rose writing on the Wall Of Shame at the SlutWalk.Source:Splash News 7 of 9
8. Amber Rose breaks down when talking about Wiz Khalifa at the SlutWalk.Source:Splash News 8 of 9
9. #amberroseslutwalkSource:Instagram 9 of 9
READ MORE ON THE URBAN DAILY