Here are 5 quick tips to get people to really listen and win them over to your situation:
1. Adjust Your Ego – Getting defensive gets you nowhere with people. Instead, be willing to show humility and, above all, humor.
2. Don’t Be Needy – The next time you want something from someone (no matter how much), try acting cool and blasé.
3. Tell Someone (Nicely) What She Has to Lose – That’s why the phrase “Don’t miss it!” is more effective in ads than “Take this opportunity.”
4. Throw a Curveball in Conversation – Shift the mood of the conversation to be more light hearted and positive. Soon enough, they will be speaking enthusiastically about your opportunity. Going on a tangent—as long as it’s one you know the other person will be interested in—really works.
5. Reiterate the Other Person’s Argument – Even if they are reluctant to concede the point, they will appreciate the fact that you listened to they in the first place.