Two Black women are accusing an Independence, Missouri, Applebee’s of racial profiling after a video of them being asked to leave the restaurant went viral over the weekend, the Kansas City Star reports.
Facebook user Alexis Brison posted an eight minute video to her account, detailing a highly uncomfortable encounter with law enforcement who were called to escort the women out of the Independence Center Shopping Mall, where the restaurant is located.
According to Brison’s Facebook post, she and a friend were enjoying their meal at the eatery when they were approached by a city police officer, mall security and the restaurant’s manager. The three men accused the women of not paying their bill the previous night, after an employee of the restaurant called and identified them.
“We were told that we were accused of eating and not paying for CHICKEN the day before (dining and dashing).” In the video you can hear the pair’s confusion as the officer asks them questions. Brison, who hails from St. Louis, claims that she and her friend were falsely identified because they were nowhere near the restaurant on the night in question. One woman even claimed that she had never visited the restaurant before.
“Mind you that we have proof that can show our whereabouts and it’s not even in our character to steal,” she wrote. “After being mocked, humiliated, and embarrassed we were asked to pay for our food, leave, and not come back. ”
After leaving the restaurant, the women called back for clarification and found out that their accuser had a thinly veiled description of the perpetrators in question, claiming one girl was “skinny,” and one “wore makeup.”
“In 2018 is this really what we’re debased to? Our weight and whether or not we wore makeup,” Brison wrote. “She could not recognize any facial features or any defining characteristics. This is a clear example of RACIAL PROFILING that should not be stood for. Just because we are black does not mean we are all criminals and I will not be treated as such.”
Applebee’s released a statement to the Kansas City Star apologizing for the incident, but asserted that they found no racial profiling in the encounter.
“We do not tolerate racism or bigotry of any nature,” said Bill Georgas, CEO of Apple Central, LLC., Applebee’s local franchisee. “We currently have no indications this was race related. We have a diverse workforce that is reflective of the community we serve. All are welcome at our restaurant, and will continue to be welcome.”
Watch the full video above for the uncomfortable confrontation.
- West Virginia Official Who Called Michelle Obama ‘An Ape In Heels’ Faces 30 Years In Prison For FEMA Fraud
- Gary’s Tea: Gucci Mane Puts 60-Carat Diamond Ring On Keyshia Ka’oir Finger, Wendy Williams Staff Allegedly Happier That She’s Gone & More [VIDEO]
- Report: Kaepernick, NFL Resolve Collusion Case
- Deion Sanders And Tracey Edmonds Get Engaged!
- Family Affair: Tiffany Haddish Shares Funny Story That Drake & His Daddy Slid Into Her DM’s
- White Woman Tells Black Police Officer Arresting Her ‘My KKK Friends Will Burn Your Family’
- 21 Savage Facing Felony Warrant for 2016 Theft
- Jason Van Dyke’s Wife Whines Her Husband Is Being Attacked Because He’s ‘A White Man Who Harmed’ LaQuan McDonald
- Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom Are Engaged & Her Ring Is Gorgeous! [PHOTOS]
- Police Deny Report That The Attack On Jussie Smollett Was Staged
#WeWillPersist: 10 Black Women Who Deserve Their Own Monuments
1. Black Girls Rock!Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. Missy ElliottSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Former First Lady Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 3 of 11
4. Congresswoman Maxine WatersSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. Harriet TubmanSource:GlobalGrind 5 of 11
6. Viola DavisSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. Ida Bell Wells-BarnettSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Sojourner TruthSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. Serena WilliamsSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. Rosa ParksSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Shirley ChisholmSource:Getty 11 of 11
SOURCE: Kansas City Star