It’s been a long time coming for the family Timothy Coggins, but 34 years is not too late for justice. Hope grows dim for scores of other Black families who need closure to racially motivated killings that are decades old.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The two suspects, in a gruesome murder that took place in 1983, are finally answering for their alleged crime. They had petitioned the court in a preliminary hearing to let them out of jail while the case moves forward, claiming that they’re old and sick.
WSB-TV reported that the judge denied their bond request on Wednesday, so they will remain in jail. Also at the hearing, the prosecutor revealed the motive behind the killing and the method used to murder Coggins, who was 23 years old at the time.
“The murder of Timothy Coggins was due to Coggins socializing with a White female and that Coggins had been stabbed multiple times and drug behind a truck by Franklin Gebhardt and William Moore Sr.,” prosecutor Ben Coker told the Georgia court, according to the news outlet.
Coggins’ body was found near a power line in Sunnyside, Georgia in 1983. In October, authorities arrested five people. They charged Gebhardt and Moore with murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, aggravated battery and concealing the death of another. The three others were charged with obstruction.
The victim’s family had long given up hope that the accused killers would be tried in court. Many other families across the South are also hopeful that after decades they too could have closure.
In 2016, the Southern Poverty Law Center sent the FBI and the Justice Department a list of 74 cold cases involving racially motivated killings during the Civil Rights era, according to the Washington Post. This came after passage of the Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crimes Reauthorization Act of 2016.
“The investigations are very important when you consider the reconciliation process in addressing many of these crimes,” Joseph E. Williams, operations coordinator for the Civil Rights Memorial, told The Post.
With the passage of time, most of those cases will likely remain unsolved. But as Cooggins’ case illustrates, it’s important for investigators to continue pursuing these cold case with urgency.
- Jay Pharoah Cast As Richard Pryor
- Foxy Brown Gets Emotional About Daughter’s Emergency Delivery
- Techie Tuesday: The Weird, Upscale Functions Of Alexa [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Barack Obama On Why He Needed To Go On Vacation With Michelle Post Presidency
55 Photos To Make You Miss The Obamas
1. Barack gives daughter Malia a kissSource:Getty 1 of 45
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 45
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 45
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 45
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 45
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 45
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 45
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 45
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 45
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 45
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 45
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 45
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 45
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 45
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 45
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 45
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 45
18. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 18 of 45
19. A Family AffairSource:Getty 19 of 45
20. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 20 of 45
21. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 21 of 45
22. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 22 of 45
23. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 23 of 45
24. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 24 of 45
25. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 25 of 45
26. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 26 of 45
27. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 27 of 45
28. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 28 of 45
29. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 29 of 45
30. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 30 of 45
31. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 31 of 45
32. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 32 of 45
33. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 33 of 45
34. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 34 of 45
35. Family SupportSource:Getty 35 of 45
36. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 36 of 45
37. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 37 of 45
38. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 38 of 45
39. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 39 of 45
40. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 40 of 45
41. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 41 of 45
42. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 42 of 45
43. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 43 of 45
44. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 44 of 45
45. Christmas Tree LightingSource:Getty 45 of 45