Here’s the big highlight in the war of words between President Donald Trump and Black athletes.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
This comes in response to the president’s attack on Stephen Curry and the NFL player’s protest of police brutality led by Colin Kaepernick, whom Trump called a “son of a b**ch.” Many across the nation are planning to #TakeTheKnee on Sunday in solidarity with the protest and in response to Trump.
The president, however, responded on Sunday by doubling on Twitter, calling on NFL owners to “fire or suspend” players who keel during the national anthem. His appeal is more red meat to his base, which wraps its racism in the flag and patriotism.
On Saturday, LeBron James called Trump a “bum” after the president strangely said he will not invite Curry to the White House after the Golden State Warriors superstar announced on Friday that he’s not interested in meeting Trump for the traditional champion’s White House visit.
James later released this video explaining his frustration with a president who is using sports and other opportunities to divide the nation.
Here’s what some other athletes had to say to Trump:
Meanwhile, several NFL team owners have issued statements supporting the players, the Miami Herald reported.
According to the Herald, the Buffalo Bill held a voluntary team meeting on Saturday. Following that meeting, owners Terry and Kim Pegula released a comment calling Trump’s remarks “divisive and disrespectful to the entire NFL community.”
“Our players have the freedom to express themselves in a respectful and thoughtful manner and we all agreed that our sole message is to provide and to promote an environment that is focused on love and equality,” the statement continued.
San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York described Trump’s remarks as “callous and offensive,” adding that the president’s words are “contradictory to what this great country stands for,” The Herald reported.
York stated that the players are exercising their constitutional rights to stimulate a national debate about social injustice.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
SOURCE: Miami Herald
Athletes & Team Owners Condemn Trump Protest Criticism was originally published on newsone.com