Filmmaker Matthew Cherry announced that his project Hair Love raised almost $300,000 in 30 days, more than triple its initial goal.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Hair Love in a 5-minute animated short film about Stephen and Zuri, a Black father trying to do his daughter’s hair for the first time. Cherry says the project is inspired by different viral videos of Black fathers’ interactions with their daughters. He hopes the film boost kids pride in their natural hair and how involved Black fathers are in the lives of their children (a 2015 CDC report showed Black fathers spend more time with their kids on a daily basis than dads from other racial groups).
The animated short will be co-directed with 3D-artist Jason Marino. Its executive producers are Frank Abney (has worked on titles like Kung Fu Panda 3, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and more), and Peter Ramsey, the first African American to direct a major animated studio film (Rise of the Guardians). The film’s character design will he helmed by author, illustrator, and filmmaker Vashti Harrisson.
See Cherry’s announcement tweet below.
10 Powerful Photos Of Colin Kaepernick Looking Like Black Excellence
1. Keeping the ‘fro in shape is a must.Source:Instagram 1 of 7
2. Stand for something, or fall for anything.Source:Getty 2 of 7
3. Leader of the pack.Source:Getty 3 of 7
4. “It is our duty to fight for our freedom.”- Assata ShakurSource:Getty 4 of 7
5. Dignity, Pride, Roots.Source:Getty 5 of 7
6. #KnowYourRightsOakland #KnowYourRightsCamp 📷: @ttime32Source:Instagram 6 of 7
7. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. “- MLKSource:Instagram 7 of 7