When Mattel diversified Barbie last year, there was a huge applause from the consumer market. Now the major toy retailer is going a step further and giving Barbie’s boyfriend a serious makeover.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The original Ken doll was introduced in 1961 and now in 2017, the retailer is switching it up. Ken will be available in multiple sizes: original, broad (nothing wrong with saying fat) and slim.
There are nine different hairstyle options for Ken (manbuns or cornrows, anyone?), eight different hair colors, and seven different skin tones – talk about a modern day upgrade! Even with all these upgrades, Ken still doesn’t have a beard!
Lisa McKnight, the Senior Vice President and General Manager for Barbie stated in a press release, “By continuing to expand our product line, we are redefining what a Barbie or Ken doll looks like to this generation. Evolving Ken was a natural evolution for the brand and allows girls to further personalize the role they want him to play in Barbie’s world.”
Kudos to Mattel for expanding into more diverse representation.
Vintage Black Beauties Through The Years
1. Trina ParksSource:Courtesy Of Full Bloom Marketing 1 of 12
2. Gloria HendrySource:Courtesy Of Full Bloom Marketing 2 of 12
3. Grace JonesSource:Courtesy Of Full Bloom Marketing 3 of 12
4. Phylicia RashaadSource:Getty 4 of 12
5. Aretha FranklinSource:Getty 5 of 12
6. Etta JamesSource:Getty 6 of 12
7. Maya AngelouSource:Getty 7 of 12
8. Josephine BakerSource:Getty 8 of 12
9. Actress Pam GrierSource:Getty 9 of 12
10. Dorothy DandridgeSource:Getty 10 of 12
11. Actress and Singer Lena HorneSource:Getty 11 of 12
12. Singer and Actress Eartha KittSource:Getty 12 of 12