Mary J. Blige‘s newest album definitely spotlights her resilience and quest to hold her ex accountable, but according to Page Six, this wasn’t the tone it originally possessed. The singer’s failed 12-year marriage with Kendu Isaacs sparked her to change the lyrics of Strength Of A Woman.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“This album … [was] written from the perspective of me fighting for my marriage. And then when it all blew up in August, I had to start rewriting songs,” Blige told NPR earlier this week.
“There was no moment where I felt like I was going to keep this in because it was way too much for me to handle on my own,” said Blige, best known for her sad and painful songs.
“These are things I needed to get out. I needed to express myself and so it hurt, but it’s good. It’s good.”
When asked whether or not it was hard to walk around the studio “conjuring” up those feelings, Blige replied:
“It was hard because of the pain, but it was good to get it out. It made me cry, and then I had to go sing it and cry and get through it. But I believe that there’s a purpose for me here on this earth, and I think it’s so I can live and become these things so people can heal from them. I don’t mind the pain. I don’t mind it all, because it hurts so good. It hurts so good,” the Grammy winner shared.
She also stresses that her album Strength Of A Woman isn’t all about Kendu—she pays homage to her mother.
“We grew up in a single-parent home. My mom raised us by herself, my dad wasn’t there. And I never really seen this woman cry. I seen her work really, really hard. I see her love hard and take care of her children” she shared.
“We didn’t live in a great environment, but she was so strong. You never really saw her in pain. But through the songs she listened to, like “Victim” by Candi Staton — you knew something was wrong. And as a child, I knew, but she never turned around and just started crying in our face. She just always carried herself like a woman, like a lady, and she never let us see her going through it.”
As we previously reported, last summer Blige filed for divorce from Isaacs after 12 years of marriage. Recent court documents claim her estranged husband Martin “Kendu” Isaacs spent more than $420,000 during their marriage on “travel charges” that involved his girlfriend.
Blige also says that Isaacs refuses to return the Mercedes she leased for him and that he will not fork over possession of her “Grammy and other achievement awards.”
In addition, Isaacs reportedly requested 100K a month in spousal support to cover his living expenses, including $4,971 towards supporting his children from another relationship, $1,200 for dining-out and $5,708 for his housekeeper. This coming from a man who had infidelity rumors swirling for years.
See NewsOne’s exclusive interview with Blige below:
Mary J. Blige’s 22 Most Classic Looks Over The Years [PHOTOS]
1. A classic Mary J. Blige look.Source:Getty Images 1 of 22
2. Pink fur and silver metallic, Mary definitely took her share of fashion dares.Source:Getty Images 2 of 22
3. Mary might’ve had many changes over the years, but the blonde hair and dark sunglasses always remained constant.Source:Wenn 3 of 22
4. Mary rocks beautiful honey blonde curls.Source:Wenn 4 of 22
5. Mary accepting a VIBE award.Source:Wenn 5 of 22
6. She’s gorgeous in gold.Source:Getty Images 6 of 22
7. Denim and leather chaps, get ’em Mary.Source:Getty Images 7 of 22
8. Even with her hair tied, chillin’ with no make up on, Mary pulls it off.Source:Getty Images 8 of 22
9. Mary looks flawless in a red leather vest.Source:Wenn 9 of 22
10. Leather and fur, two of Mary’s favorites.Source:Wenn 10 of 22
11. Whoa, MJB is fiery in her red hair and a matching red leather ensemble.Source:Wenn 11 of 22
12. The Queen of Hip Hop/Soul right before she sang the National Anthem on Thanksgiving at the Oakland Raiders vs. Dallas Cowboys in 2013.Source:Getty Images 12 of 22
13. The bold red lip was a nice pop of color to her otherwise all nude ensemble.Source:Getty Images 13 of 22
14. Mary J. and her hubby Kendu Isaacs pose on the red carpet.Source:Getty Images 14 of 22
15. All black everything with a dash of Hermes, Mary’s doing what she does best: singingSource:Getty Images 15 of 22
16. Fresh faced, Mary is naturally a beauty.Source:Getty Images 16 of 22
17. Ooo kill ’em! The “No More Drama” singer gets seductive in an all black body hugging number accented with sexy slits.Source:Getty Images 17 of 22
18. Such cute leather gloves.Source:Getty Images 18 of 22
19. Mary had some dope accessories, peep the fly hat.Source:Getty Images 19 of 22
20. Pink is such a great color for her.Source:Getty Images 20 of 22
21. MJB shows some cleavage in a laced up denim top.Source:Getty Images 21 of 22
22. Mary shows off some leg, nice thigh tattoo.Source:Getty Images 22 of 22
Mary J. Blige Visits "The Rickey Smiley Morning Show" [EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS]
1. Mary J. BligeSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 1 of 15
2. Da Brat & Mary J. Blige2 of 15
3. Mary J. Blige & FanSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 3 of 15
4. Mary J. BligeSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 4 of 15
5. Da Brat & Mary J. BligeSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 5 of 15
6. Da Brat & Mary J. BligeSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 6 of 15
7. Mary J. Blige & FanSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 7 of 15
8. Mary J. Blige & FanSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 8 of 15
9. Mary J. Blige & Beyonce AlowishusSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 9 of 15
10. Mary J. Blige & FanSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 10 of 15
11. Mary J. BligeSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 11 of 15
12. Mary J. Blige & FanSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 12 of 15
13. Mary J. BligeSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 13 of 15
14. Gary With Da Tea, Da Brat, Mary J. Blige & HeadkrackSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 14 of 15
15. Gary With Da Tea, Da Brat, Mary J. Blige & HeadkrackSource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 15 of 15