Oprah Winfrey fans were shocked earlier this week after she posted what seemed to be a pro-Trump tweet.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The queen of media tweeted a photo of Donald Trump meeting President Barack Obama at the White House with the caption, “Everybody take a deep breath” with the hashtag #HopeLives. She received major backlash on social media, with people accusing the mogul of attempting to normalize Trump after the hateful rhetoric of his campaign.
But the OWN network CEO addressed the backlash to her tweet, like a real boss would, after a screening of the documentary 13th with Ava DuVernay. She reportedly told the crowd, “Y’all heard about my tweet problems?” Oprah continued on, acknowledging her mistake of trying to force a unified response at an extremely divisive moment in history. She told the crowd, “I couldn’t breathe after the election. I was expecting tension, awkwardness, and strain so when I saw them sitting together, I actually took a picture of the screen that said ‘President-elect Trump honored to meet Obama.’ And President Obama was being so gracious, and I heard Donald Trump say, ‘He’s a good man.’ I heard Donald Trump say, ‘I’m going to be seeking his counsel.’ I literally went [deep breath], ‘I can breathe now.’”
She added, “My mistake, and this is what I know to be true: You can never talk about everybody … Even in your arguments with your husband and your children. Don’t talk about what you should do, what you ought to do — you can only speak for yourself. So what I should have said was, ‘I just took a breath.’”
Check out Oprah Winfrey and Ava DuVernay’s discussion above.
10 Artists Oprah Should Interview For "Next Chapter" (PHOTOS)
1. 1. After watching Rihanna's honest interview, everyone definitely wants to hear what Chris Brown has to say about that "infamous" Grammy weekend night.1 of 10
2. 2. Courtney Love has gone through many personal trials and tribulations. Oprah and Courtney should have a lot to talk about.2 of 10
3. 3. Kanye West doesn't like the media, but maybe Oprah would be able to get him to open up about his mother, his controversial statements, and his new love: Kim Kardashian.3 of 10
4. 4. After R.Kelly's interview with BET and his "define teenage" comment, Oprah's "Next Chapter" would be the perfect interview for him to explain himself or not.4 of 10
5. 5. After the release of Nas' "Life Is Good" album, everyone is wondering why Kelis decided to pack up and leave. Maybe Oprah can get the "Milkshake" singer to talk?5 of 10
6. 6. DMX has had a tumultuous life. From spending time in jail to battling addiction, we're sure Oprah will have DMX crying by the end of her interview.6 of 10
7. 7. With thoughts of suicide to drug addiction, Eminem rarely opens up about his life. It would be cool to see him talk more about his daughter Hayley and who Marshall Mathers really is.7 of 10
8. 8. After her meltdown in 2007, Britney Spears hasn't quite gotten her mojo back. Fans definitely want to hear Britney explain her head shave and erratic behavior.8 of 10
9. 9. Motley Crue rocker Tommy Lee is no stranger to controversy. He was married to one of the hottest women, Pamela Anderson, and has been in some trouble over the years.9 of 10
10. 10. Prince is probably one of the most mysterious artists to date. He vowed many years ago to never do interviews, but fans would love to see him open up to Oprah.10 of 10
SOURCE: Inside Edition
Oprah Explains Her Pro-Trump Tweet After Receiving Major Backlash was originally published on globalgrind.com