An 8-year-old award winning writer has been invited to attend The White House Summit on the United State of Women.
According to News 4 Jax, Natalie McGriff of “The Adventures of Moxie McGriff” was chosen to attend the June event to help empower and promote literacy amongst girls of color.
McGriff’s book, which she co-wrote with her mother Angie Nixon, focuses on a young girl with superpowers who realizes that her real power and beauty in being unique and loving yourself, the news outlet wrote. The story was based on Natalie herself who struggled with her natural hair and her skin color.
Of course, Natalie and her mother are thrilled.
“We know that Oprah is going to be there,” her mother told CBS 47 News. “She really wants to see Michelle Obama.”
Natalie also just wants for other girls like her to love books. “It’s important for little girls to love themselves and love to read and write,” Natalie said.
The White House Summit on the United State of Women will be held on June 14, 2016. There will be dozens of speakers, guests and honorees aimed at working on improving the lives of women and girls in the U.S. Women such as Kerry Washington, Shonda Rimes, Meryl Streep, Laverne Cox, Jessica Williams and many others will attend the event as well.
Who Rocked At Black Girls Rock!
1. Tatyana Ali cradles her pregnant belly.1 of 29
2. 'Survivors Remorse' star Teyonah Parris.2 of 29
3. BET CEO Debra Lee kicks it with host Tracee Ross.3 of 29
4. Rihanna stays making headlines with edgy fashion.4 of 29
5. Longtime friends Gladys Knight and Dionne Warwick.5 of 29
6. Kelly Rowland and Monica slay the red carpet.6 of 29
7. Iyanla Vanzant is a staunch supporter of Black women and girls.7 of 29
8. Singer Andra Day wants Black girls to rise up into greatness.8 of 29
9. Ledisi shows off her gorgeous locs and gown.9 of 29
10. British import Corinne Bailey Rae.10 of 29
11. 'Game' star Hosea Chanchez and 'Power' star Naturi Naughton hug it out.11 of 29
12. Eva Marceille follows the jumpsuit theme of the night.12 of 29
13. Monica Brown celebrates black girls who rock with daughter Laylah.13 of 29
14. Cicely Tyson supports Black girls who rock.14 of 29
15. Shonda Rhimes talks about her success and why her honor is bigger than just herself.15 of 29
16. Rihanna accepts her award by saying she's just tried to be true to herself.16 of 29
17. Host Tracee Ellis Ross.17 of 29
18. Monica performs a single from her new release.18 of 29
19. Opal Pittman and Alicia Garza, co-founders of Black Lives Matter, accept their award.19 of 29
20. Brandy performs with a host of dancers.20 of 29
21. Marsha Ambrosius, Imani Azuri and Corinne Bailey Rae make a saaangin' trio.21 of 29
22. Tracee Ellis Ross slays in sheer black gown.22 of 29
23. Hillary Clinton came to recognize Beverly Bond, founder of Black Girls Rock!23 of 29
24. Gladys Knight says her BGR Award is the best honor she's ever received.24 of 29
25. Beverly Bond, founder of Black Girls Rock!25 of 29
26. Honoree Amandla Stenberg is happy to be a part of Black Girls Rock!26 of 29
27. Danai Gurira accepts her award in a fabulous jumpsuit.27 of 29
28. Jazmine Sullivan sings 'Masterpiece' from her 'Reality Show' recording.28 of 29
29. Erykah Badu is here for Black Girls Rock!29 of 29