Almost a week after Democratic Presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton surprised Black women at Black Girls Rock telling the crowd how much they matter to her, her Bae, former President Bill Clinton aka “The First Black President,” did what he’s been good at as of late. Putting his foot in way in his mouth.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Stumping for HRC at an event in Philadelphia on Thursday, Mr. Clinton was interrupted by Black Lives Matters supporters, CNN reported. As one protestor said, “We are not super predators,” referring to Mrs. Clinton’s phrase in a 1996 speech about crime. They also later “heckled” Mr. Clinton for his own 1994 crime bill that disproportionately impacted African-Americans, CNN noted. The another protestor said that Mrs. Clinton should be charged with crimes against humanity, the Washington Free Beacon said.
This all led to a testy and disappointing 15-minute exchange where Clinton defended his wife and their questionable stances and policies, while making some potentially problematic statements and making sweeping generalizations about Black people and Black crime.
“I don’t know how you would characterize the gang leaders who got 13-year-old kids hopped up on crack and sent ‘em out onto the street to murder other African-American children—maybe you thought they were good citizens. She didn’t. She didn’t. You are defending the people who kill the lives you say matter. Tell the truth,” he said defending his legislation.
Um…President Clinton come again?
Sadly, he wasn’t done. According to Gawker, some other condescending and tone-deaf verbal gems included:
- “Here’s the thing. I like protestors, but the ones that won’t let you answer are afraid of the truth.”
- “Hillary spent her time trying to get healthcare for poor kids—and who were they? Their lives matter.”
- “I don’t know how you would characterize the gang leaders who got 13-year-old kids hopped up on crack and sent them out into the street to murder other African-American children. Maybe you thought they were good citizens—she didn’t.”
- “The reason they know it’s true is [the protestors] won’t hush. When somebody won’t hush and listen to you, that ain’t democracy. They’re afraid of the truth. Don’t you be afraid of the truth.”
- “I’ll tell you another story about a place where black lives matter: Africa.”
Oh and Twitter has been on a rampage since this footage came out.
This isn’t the first time Former President Clinton has talked sideways about and to Black folks. Most recently, Mr. Clinton had to clarify some potentially shady comments he made to voters about President Obama’ presidency.
He said “If you believe we’ve finally come to the point where we can put the awful legacy of the last eight years behind us and the seven years before that.” HRC’s reps quickly clarified that her husband was referring to the “Republican obstruction” of Obama’s tenure, not the tenure itself. Oh and there was that one time in 2008, when Mr. Clinton allegedly said “A few years ago, this guy would have been carrying our bags,” the NY Post noted. “This guy” he is believed to have been referring to was President Obama.
Either way, HRC shouldn’t let her husband speak on her behalf anymore. You see how that worked out for her in 2008.
A Fashionable Timeline Of Hillary Clinton’s Awesome Pantsuits (PHOTOS)
1. Sept. 1996: Hillary always kept it classy in the White House.Source: 1 of 24
2. Sept. 1996: Back in the day, the potential presidential nominee was rocking the cutest skirt sets.Source: 2 of 24
3. April 1999: Even former French prime minister Jaques Chirac loved Hillary and her bright numbers.Source: 3 of 24
4. June 2000: Hillary rang in the summer with a traditional pantsuit in New York.Source: 4 of 24
5. Nov. 2000: Hillary and daughter Chelsea arrive in Vietnam in mother/daughter pantsuits.Source: 5 of 24
6. Oct. 2000: Hillary raised the flare (and her collar) at the 2001 Vogue Awards.Source: 6 of 24
7. August 2003: Hillary cracks a few jokes about her pantsuits during a visit to The Jay Leno Show.Source: 7 of 24
8. March 2004: Hillary showed off her pastel look during the More Alpha Woman Awards.Source: 8 of 24
9. June 2004: Hillary’s lighter looks were always welcoming, but the lace embroidered pattern was a standout during an appearance with Bill Clinton in New York.Source: 9 of 24
10. June 2005: Hillary made the switch to bold and brighter pantsuits in 2005.Source: 10 of 24
11. 2006: Even her Madame Tussaud wax figure rocked an awesome pantsuit!Source: 11 of 24
12. January 2007: Hillary switched up her pantsuits during her campaign run for President.Source: 12 of 24
13. June 2008: Hillary conceded her campaign for president in style.Source: 13 of 24
14. May 2009: Blue is definitely Hillary’s color!Source: 14 of 24
15. June 2010: Hillary brought back her pastel look for old time’s sake.Source: 15 of 24
16. July 2011: Hillary switched up her look with this patterned blazer look.Source: 16 of 24
17. August 2011: “The thing about pantsuits is…”Source: 17 of 24
18. February 2012: Hillary & Amy Poehler hang out and bond..over pantsuits, of course.Source: 18 of 24
19. November 2012: Hillary knows what colors work for her. This orange number is it!Source: 19 of 24
20. October 2012: Hillary knows how to rock a blazer.Source: 20 of 24
21. During her appearance at the Human Rights Campaign in 2012, Hillary keeps it traditional in this classic pantsuit.Source: 21 of 24
22. June 2013: Hillary kept it classy at the CDFA ceremony.Source: 22 of 24
23. May 2013: Hillary’s pantsuits have really evolved through the years, are we right?Source: 23 of 24
24. April 2014: We can’t wait to see more of her stylish pantsuits in the future.Source: 24 of 24