It’s expected at this point that anything awesome the Obamas do, there’s going to be trolls who feel the opposite. But it’s always shocking how naive and idiotic some people can be when it comes to teenagers, Sasha and Malia Obama.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The girls were recently at their first State Dinner along side their parents President Barack and Michelle Obama, to honor Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. While their mother was shining in all her glory in a custom Jason Wu gown, the girls opted for age-appropriate Naeem Khan dresses.
They looked stunning in the dresses loaned to them —key word “loaned”— but somehow naysayers found a way to find a problem. The “issue” concerns the fact that their embroidered appliqué gowns were almost $20,000 apiece.
As noted by People StyleWatch the guiding principle seemed to be “princess moment,” as both girls selected super-romantic gowns from the designer’s recent collections. Malia, 17, chose a simple, sophisticated blush gown with a sweetheart neckline and allover crystal beading, which once retailed on Moda Operandi for $17,990. Sasha, 14, went for something a little bolder, deciding on a beaded lace and appliqué ballgown in shades of cranberry, turquoise, black and beige; it formerly sold for $19,990.
If anything, the designer made good money off the girls wearing his dresses. But no, tax payers’ money was not used to outfit them.
In 2014 the girls were being criticized for wearing short skirts and looking disinterested at The White House Turkey Pardon. “Act like being in the White House matters to you,” GOP staffer Elizabeth Lauten said in a Facebook post. “Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at the bar. And certainly don’t make faces at televised, public events.”
But what’s so interesting is that back in 2001, there’s was no criticizing from White House staffers when President George W. Bush’s 19-year-old twin daughters were charged with multiple underage alcohol offenses.
But y’all are mad about dresses…
The saying goes, as Black people you’ll always need to work two-or-three times as hard to achieve the same level of accolades as White folks. And apparently, that goes for being proper in public.
If there’s one thing we won’t miss with the Obamas leaving the White House is the ridiculous hate randoms throw at them 24-7.
#DadGoals: Barack Obama's Cutest Moments With Malia And Sasha
1. The First FamilySource:Getty 1 of 15
2. Malia, Sasha & DadSource:Getty 2 of 15
3. Kisses For MaliaSource:Getty 3 of 15
4. Barack Shares Dad Wisdom With MaliaSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. The Obamas In The Holiday SpiritSource:Getty 5 of 15
6. Malia Is Never Too Old To Hold Dad's HandSource:Getty 6 of 15
7. Quality TimeSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. One Big Happy FamilySource:Getty 8 of 15
9. Singing AlongSource:Getty 9 of 15
10. Growing UpSource:Getty 10 of 15
11. Family PhotoSource:Getty 11 of 15
12. Malia & Dad On A StrollSource:Getty 12 of 15
13. All SmilesSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. #FamilyGoalsSource:Getty 14 of 15
15. VolunteeringSource:Getty 15 of 15
Sasha & Malia Obama Criticized For $20k State Dinner Dresses was originally published on hellobeautiful.com