Mary J Blige is like our real life soul sister. From her empowering female anthems to her soul-stirring ballads that get us through the toughest times, she is our protective big sister, supportive auntie and nurturing mother in one fierce body. And now she’s bringing her voice to a weekly radio show “Real Talk.”
With guests like Demi Levato, Diddy and the profound Jada Pinkett Smith, “Real Talk” touches on intimate topics while delving into life’s experiences for the audience who values pop culture as much as deep dialogue.
Like anyone venturing into a new aspect of their career, Mary revealed she was hesitant when Jimmy Iovine first pitched the idea of her having her own radio show.
“I thought about it and said this can be an extension of who I am in the music business,” Mary told us during a candid chat. “I do want to be that voice that people hear when they’re sitting in their car and they’re going through things – contemplating suicide – that voice that says don’t do it.”
“It’s a place where you can feel safe to speak about real things, real life. I was the one who named the show ‘Real Talk’ because it has to be real coming from me, especially when we’re dealing with other people’s lives.”
Determined to use her platform to improve the lives of her fans, “Real Talk” is Mary’s way of reaching the masses on the other side of the microphone. “As much as I know I’m not anybody’s interviewer, it wasn’t about being an interview, it was about being a voice that touches people not just through music but through my speaking voice.”
Jada Pinkett Smith recently appeared on “Real Talk,” blessing listeners and Mary with her poignant presence and penetrating conversations.
“Jada is just so powerful. She’s a powerful woman. I just respect her so highly. There were so many things about her that I didn’t know. This woman has come through a lot. She spoke on my show and I don’t think she’s spoken like this in a long time. “
Mary’s realness is why we adore her as a woman and musician. She’s always stayed true to who she is and it resonates in her work.
Catch Mary on ‘Real Talk’ biweekly at 2 p.m. EST.
11 Photos Of Mary J. Blige Killing The Game Back In '92
1. Mary takes over the stage in her signature look.Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. The R&B goddess takes a stance at the 7th Annual New York Music Awards.Source:Getty 2 of 11
3. How sweet does she look at the KMEL Summer Jam in 1992?Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. Mary J. & Joe Public win big at the New York Music Awards in '92.Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. Mary J. Blige is all smiles in a hoodie and curls.Source:Getty 5 of 11
6. Mary does her one, two-step while performing in '92.Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. She had a flawless smile, even back then.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. Mary J. wins big at the 7th Annual New York Music Awards.Source:Getty 8 of 11
9. Show 'em who's queen.Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Super Cat and Mary chill backstage at the New York Music Awards in '92.Source:Getty 10 of 11
11. Let's get 'em, queen!Source:Getty 11 of 11