This weekend, led by three sons of Nevada rancher Clive Bundy, 15 armed anti-government militiamen took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge HQ in Harney County Oregon, calling for “American patriots” to join them.
This “occupation” of this federal building took place after 300 people in town protested the recent arrest and pending imprisonment of two Oregon ranchers, Dwight Hammond, Jr. and his son Steven Hammond, who were found guilty of setting fires to federal land,” writes RT.com. The Bundy boys and their supporters believe that the federal government is overstepping their legal reach and “have no authority in local cases” like these.
A federal judge sentenced the men to five years in jail, which would begin on Monday.
This tension between ranchers and the federal government is not a new one and seems to only be escalating over time. “We’re planning on staying here for years, absolutely…This is not a decision we’ve made at the last minute,” Ammon Bundy told Oregon Live.
And they are “willing to kill” if the government tries to remove them from the building.
Despite their supporters, the local government is very concerned, closing down schools for the rest of the week in the area. And who can blame them? This is a real threat of domestic terrorism, but where was the initial national news coverage of what was happening?
And yet when news outlets such as the Associated Press and ABC News began covering the story, they released articles with headlines calling the hostile takeover as a “peaceful protest, Think Progress pointed out. This swiftly prompted Twitter to call out this media mishap.
Accusations of racial double standards also came into play when people began asking why the National Guard are always called in for unarmed protests in places such as Ferguson and Baltimore, but not in Oregon, Al Jazeera noted.
Most important, folks highlighted–again–how radially different people of color are portrayed in the media, even when they are innocent, compared to whites criminals like Dylan Roof, who are given empathy and labeled “misunderstood.”
In the end, this tweet perfectly sums up what is really happening, calling a spade, a spade.
And We Thought We Came So Far: The Most Racist Moments Of 2014
1. 2014’s Most Racist Moments1 of 24
2. Artie Lange’s Racist & Sexist Tweet2 of 24
3. Sephora Singles Out Asian Customers3 of 24
4. Twitter Racists Hate The “New Annie”4 of 24
5. People Magazine’s Lame HTGAWM Tweet5 of 24
6. ’12 Years A Slave’ Headlines That Hurt6 of 24
7. Fergson Protestors Labeled ‘Animals’7 of 24
8. Huffington Post’s Really Uncomfortable “Once You Go Black” List8 of 24
9. Ebola9 of 24
10. “Breathe Easy, Don’t Break The Law” Shirts10 of 24
11. Fraternity Uses Dark-Skinned Blow Up Doll As Beyonce Sex Doll11 of 24
12. Sony’s Racist Emails12 of 24
13. New Hampshire Police Commissioner Calls Obama The N-Word13 of 24
14. Racist Halloween Costumes14 of 24
15. Richard Sherman Gets Called a ‘Thug’ By Media15 of 24
16. Watermelon Toothpaste Cartoon Featuring Obama16 of 24
17. Shonda Rhimes Labeled “Angry Black Woman” By NYT17 of 24
18. Donald Sterling’s Rant18 of 24
19. Bill O’Reilly19 of 24
20. John Boyega Responds To Racist Star Wars Fans20 of 24
21. Don Lemon Being Don Lemon21 of 24
22. New York Times Called Michael Brown ‘No Angel’22 of 24
23. Booker T. Washington Walkout23 of 24
24. Racist Stripper Goes On ‘N-Word’ Rant24 of 24
Armed Militia Takes Over Forest Preserve In Oregon, Twitter Points Out Racial Double Standard was originally published on hellobeautiful.com