She remains hopeful that the federal government will review her son’s murder.
According to Jezebel, “The Civil Rights Division within the Department of Justice is also investigating the circumstances surrounding Rice’s death and will produce its assessment independent of the Ohio court system.”
Rice’s full remarks are as follows:
My family and I are in pain and devastated by the non-indictment of officers Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback for the murder of our beloved Tamir. After this investigation—which took over a year to unfold—and Prosecutor McGinty’s mishandling of this case, we no longer trust the local criminal-justice system, which we view as corrupt.
Prosecutor McGinty deliberately sabotaged the case, never advocating for my son, and acting instead like the police officers’ defense attorney. In a time in which a non-indictment who have killed an unarmed black child is business as usual, we mourn for Tamir, and for all of the black people who have been killed by the police without justice. In our view, this process demonstrates that race is still an extremely troubling and serious problem in our country and the criminal-justice system.
I don’t want my child to have died for nothing and I refuse to let his legacy or his name be ignored. We will continue to fight for justice for him, and for all families who must live with the pain that we live with.
As the video shows, Officer Loehmann shot my son in less than a second. All I wanted was someone to be held accountable. But this entire process was a charade.
I pray and hope that the federal government will investigate this case.
Statement Source: The Washington Post
Justice For…A List Of People Killed By Police In 2014 (PHOTOS)
1. Jordan Baker, 26, Killed January 2014 In TexasSource:Handout 1 of 20
2. McKenzie Cochran, 25, Killed January 2014 In DetroitSource:Handout 2 of 20
3. Keith Vidal, 18, Killed January 2014 In North CarolinaSource:Handout 3 of 20
4. Yvette Smith, 47, Killed February 2014 In TexasSource:Handout 4 of 20
5. Victor White III, 22, Killed March 2014 In LouisianaSource:Handout 5 of 20
6. Dontre Hamilton, 31, Killed April 2014 In MilwaukeeSource:Handout 6 of 20
7. Jason Harrison, 28, Killed June 2014 In TexasSource:Screengrab 7 of 20
8. Eric Garner, 43, Killed July 2014 In NYCSource:Screengrab 8 of 20
9. Ezell Ford, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource:Handout 9 of 20
10. Dante Parker, 36, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource:Handout 10 of 20
11. Kajieme Powell, 25, Killed August 2014 In St. LouisSource:Screengrab 11 of 20
12. Omar Abrego, 37, Killed August 2014 In CaliforniaSource:Handout 12 of 20
13. Maria Godinez, 22, Killed August 2014 In OrlandoSource:Handout 13 of 20
14. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Killed August 2014 in Ferguson, Mo.Source:Handout 14 of 20
15. Darrien Hunt, 22, Killed September 2014 In UtahSource:Handout 15 of 20
16. Jack Jacquez, 27, Killed November 2014 In ColoradoSource:Handout 16 of 20
17. Tamir Rice, 12, Killed November 2014 In OhioSource:Handout 17 of 20
18. Akai Gurley, 28, Killed November 2014 In NYCSource:Handout 18 of 20
19. Tanesha Anderson, 37, Killed November 2014 In ClevelandSource:Handout 19 of 20
20. Rumain Brisbon, 34, Killed December 2014 In ArizonaSource:Handout 20 of 20
Tamir Rice’s Mother, Samiria Rice Releases A Statement On Non-Indictment was originally published on hellobeautiful.com