After the video of Officer Ben Fields grabbing a high school student by her neck and dragging her along the floor hit the net, Raven felt it was important to note the teenager was the one defying authority.
“The girl was told multiple times to get off the phone. There’s not right or reason for him to be doing this type of harm, that’s ridiculous,” she said. “But at the same time, you gotta follow the rules in school. First of all, why are there cellphones in school? This shouldn’t even be a problem to begin with, and he shouldn’t have been acting like that on top of it.” Co-host Michelle Collins brought up the officer’s prior history of violent events, while Paula Faris’ main argument was that children “lack respect for authority,” believing it’s ultimately the parents’ fault.
Later in the discussion, Raven was able to acknowledge that the officer’s history with violence was a red flag, but she still held strong to her original opinion. “He was actually sued for false arrest, excessive force and battery in 2007 after a couple accused him of manhandling them. He has a record, and he’s still hired. But at the same time, get off yo’ phone. You are in school, get off yo’ phone. What you doin’ on Instagram?” she said.
To close out the heated discussion, Raven attempted to take the high road, saying, “There’s two wrongs.”
Watch the conversation above beginning at the 2:50 mark.
15 Times Raven-Symone Was Undeniably Black (PHOTOS)
1. That Time When She Co-Starred On The Single Most Important Show About Black Families: "The Cosby Show."1 of 15
2. Actually Black.2 of 15
3. When She Showed Off Her #TeamNatural Afro. Key Term: Afro.3 of 15
4. Rapping With Da Brat.4 of 15
5. That's So Black.5 of 15
6. Showing Off Her Nikes For The 'Gram...Such A Black Thing To Do.6 of 15
7. Black Family Portrait.7 of 15
8. Raven Rockin' A Kufi.8 of 15
9. This...9 of 15
10. Rockin' These Modern-Day Cealie Dooky Plaits.10 of 15
11. Kufi & A BoomBox.11 of 15
12. That Time She Created This Beautiful Drawing Of An African Woman.12 of 15
13. This Whole Outfit Is African Inspired.13 of 15
14. That Time She Was Walking Around The Streets Of D.C. In A Floor-Length Fur...Looking Like Someone's Black Grandma.14 of 15
15. Terrible Black Fashion Circa 2003.15 of 15
SOURCE: VIBE | VIDEO SOURCE: YouTube
Raven-Symone Blames Spring Valley Student For Assault [VIDEO] was originally published on globalgrind.com