BET founder Bob Johnson met with Donald Trump on Sunday at the Trump National Golf Club in New Jersey and described the sit-down as a “great chat” about “business solutions to social problems.”
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Now, the Democratic media mogul thinks African American’s should give the new President-elect a chance and hope common ground can be reached with the incoming Republican administration about issues facing the black community. He told CNBC, “Trump is a business guy, and I think he’s going to tilt towards finding [a] way to use fiscal policy to move the economy forward. Let’s give him a shot. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt; see if we can find common ground. That’s what’s best for African-Americans.”
Johnson even quoted founding Congressional Black Caucus member Rep. Bill Clay Sr., a Missouri Democrat who served more than three decades in the House, to make his point. He continued, “Black Americans should have no permanent friends, and no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. That’s where African-American voters should be.
Johnson also says he does not view Trump and the Republicans as enemies or friends. He added that the country needs a leader, “not somebody who’s going to sort of choose sides,” and he hopes Trump fits the bill.
Check out what else Bob Johnson had to say in his full interview with CNBC above.
10 Black Trump Supporters
1. Ben CarsonSource:Joe Raedle/Getty Images 1 of 10
2. Herschel WalkerSource:Ben Gabbe/Getty Images 2 of 10
3. OmarosaSource:Matthew Eisman/WireImage/Getty 3 of 10
4. Dennis RodmanSource:Larry Marano/WireImage/Getty 4 of 10
5. Jimmy McMillanSource:Instagram 5 of 10
6. Stacey DashSource:Amanda Edwards/WireImage/Getty 6 of 10
7. Mike TysonSource:Steve Granitz/WireImage/Getty 7 of 10
8. Terrell OwensSource:Gabriel Olsen/Getty Images 8 of 10
9. Azealia BanksSource:Chelsea Lauren/WireImage/Getty 9 of 10
10. Latrell SprewellSource:Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images 10 of 10