As the baseball world continues to mourn the loss of Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, more details have surfaced about what happened in the hours leading up to his death.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
According to TMZ, the 24-year-old was spotted at a popular Miami waterfront bar at around 2 a.m.
Fernandez reportedly tried to recruit some of his teammates to join him on the boat ride. One of them was outfielder Marcell Ozuna.
“That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out,’” Ozuna told the Miami Herald. “Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water. I told him I couldn’t go out that night because I had the kids and my wife waiting for me.”
Other than Ozuna, Will Bernal, who describes himself as a “Miami socialite,” posted a screenshot of a text message conversation he sent to Eduardo Rivero, a good friend who was on the boat alongside Emilio Macias and Fernandez.
The texts reveal Fernandez’s pals were on the boat with him to console the athlete.
The eerie conversation shows Bernal’s last exchange with Macias reading, “Trust me it’s not my time yet.” Macias would later die in the boat crash as well.
Our last phone conversation and text messages last night. I feel sick to my stomach. Everyone is talking about Jose Fernandez but you died trying to be there for him and be a good friend. This doesn't sit with me well. I write this with the heaviest heart I've ever had. I just lost Tony and now I lost another best friend. I can't get over this nightmare. I already miss you and our daily conversations. You died being a great friend. You went to be with Jose and help him when he called you. I tried so hard to tell you not to go out on that boat. It didn't feel right and we both knew it. I'm choking on tears writing this, you don't deserve this. We were just talking about life at the Marlins game and how precious it is. I can't believe you are gone. The pain I have is unexplainable. I feel guilty that I didn't do a better job of trying to convince you not get on that boat. You told me just so I know in case something happens. You had a gut feeling and that is killing me. I love you bro, you'll always be the little brother I never had. I'm in shock, I'm still waiting for you to call me or txt me. We were so excited to celebrate your birthday in Vegas. You were loved by many and I'll do my best to stay involved with them. Lauren and I will keep you in our prayers. Rest In Peace brother. Love you little bro Eddy Rivero @e_greeneyes #rip #mybrotherfromanothermother
“I told him I didn’t want him to go out on the boat and to be careful,” Bernal later told CBS Miami. “I didn’t have a good feeling. It’s too dark at night.”
In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2016
1. Thomas Mikal Ford, 52Source:Instagram 1 of 39
2. Rod Temperton, 66Source:Instagram 2 of 39
3. Gloria Naylor, 66Source:Instagram 3 of 39
4. Jose Fernandez, 24Source:Instagram 4 of 39
5. Arnold Palmer, 87Source:Instagram, Getty 5 of 39
6. Shawty Lo, 40Source:Instagram 6 of 39
7. Nicole MilfieSource:Instagram 7 of 39
8. Gene Wilder, 83Source:Getty 8 of 39
9. George Curry, 69Source:Instagram 9 of 39
10. John McLaughlin, 89Source:Getty 10 of 39
11. Inez Kaiser, 98Source:Instagram 11 of 39
12. James Alan McPherson, 72Source:Instagram 12 of 39
13. Gary Marshall, 81Source:Getty 13 of 39
14. Jack Gravely, 72Source:Instagram 14 of 39
15. Bernie Worrell, 72Source:Getty 15 of 39
16. Christina Grimmie, 22Source:Getty 16 of 39
17. Muhammad Ali, 74Source:Getty 17 of 39
18. Morley Safer, 84Source:Getty 18 of 39
19. Prince, 57Source:Getty 19 of 39
20. David Gest, 62Source:Getty 20 of 39
21. Phife Dawg, 4521 of 39
22. Daryl Coley, 6022 of 39
23. Bob Adelman, 8523 of 39
24. Gil Hill, 8424 of 39
25. Tony Burton, 7825 of 39
26. Vanity, 5726 of 39
27. Maurice White, 7427 of 39
28. Abe Vigoda, 94Source:Getty 28 of 39
29. Natalie Cole, 65Source:Getty 29 of 39
30. David Bowie, 69Source:Getty 30 of 39
31. Nicholas Caldwell, 71Source:Getty 31 of 39
32. Monford "Monte" Merrill Irvin, 96Source:Getty 32 of 39
33. Glenn Frey, 67Source:Getty 33 of 39
34. Rene Angelil, 73Source:Getty 34 of 39
35. Craig Strickland, 29Source:Instagram 35 of 39
36. Robert Stigwood, 81Source:Getty 36 of 39
37. Otis Clay, 73Source:Getty 37 of 39
38. Dan Haggerty, 74Source:Getty 38 of 39
39. Alan Rickman, 69Source:Getty 39 of 39
SEE MORE ON TUD: